[Bobwhite Blather] Obsolete? Says who!

Bobwhite Blather Scouting Blog bobwhiteblather at lists.bobwhiteblather.com
Mon Nov 28 05:00:47 PST 2016

There's a new item at Bobwhite Blather: 'Obsolete? Says who!'

A friend sent me the link to an article on the website of the American
Association of Retired Persons (AARP) titled 10 Skills Our Kids Will Never
Learn. It's a rundown on skills that those of the Baby Boomer generation have
come to take for granted but which today's youth view as useless or otherwise
irrelevant, thanks to technology, societal changes or a shift in our education
system. There's not much call for making buggy whips any more, but what about
these skills?

As a Boomer and the parent of two Millennials, I can see their point and have
seen some of these in my own kids. But the skills in the article are far from
obsolete. Rather, they are great things to know that could come in handy when
you least expect it.

>From a Scouting perspective, it means Being Prepared - for there are times when
your smartphone's battery runs flat, or you need to figure something out that
can't be looked up on Wikipedia or YouTube.

Just for fun, let's look at some of the supposedly obsolete skills, how Scouting
manages to teach them to our young people anyway, and why it matters.

Read the rest of this post at
https://bobwhiteblather.com/obsolete-says-who/?utm_source=subscribe2&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=postnotify&utm_id=4547&utm_title=Obsolete%3F+Says+who%21

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are
posted.
Best regards,
Bobwhite Blather
notify at bobwhiteblather.com