[Bobwhite Blather] We're in the creativity business

Bobwhite Blather Scouting Blog bobwhiteblather at lists.bobwhiteblather.com
Mon Aug 12 05:01:10 PDT 2013

Bobwhite Blather has posted a new item, 'We're in the creativity business'

Like most readers of this blog, I'm a parent of teenagers (well, my older son
turns 22 this week, so there's just one teenager left) and as we all have come
to realize in recent years, our kids and most of their friends are becoming
increasingly disconnected with the natural world.

If you're like me, your youth had a lot of outdoor time, especially when the
weather was conducive to being outdoors. I walked to school twice a day (morning
session, home for lunch, then back for afternoon class) until seventh grade, and
even then I did a lot of walking to and from school in good weather and bad.
Summers were spent outdoors and - this is not a cliché - we played with our
friends, wandering what seemed like far and wide, only coming home for lunch and
supper.

Today, a young person is more likely to be found indoors, regardless of weather,
using some kind of screen or electronic device - cellphone, computer or tablet -
to communicate with friends or play virtual games instead of heading out the
door for the real thing.

You may view the latest post at
http://www.fmaynard.com/scouting/archives/2158?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=postnotify

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are
posted.

Best regards,
Frank Maynard
email: scouter at fmaynard.com