[Bobwhite Blather] How do I quell a parent revolt?

Bobwhite Blather Scouting Blog bobwhiteblather at lists.bobwhiteblather.com
Mon Oct 13 05:00:56 PDT 2014

Bobwhite Blather has posted a new item, 'How do I quell a parent revolt?'

Has this ever happened to you?

The following question was posted on one of the Scouting forums in the last few
weeks. I thought it was an interesting conundrum and offered my comments. Since
it's unfortunately not an uncommon situation, maybe you can relate. I'll
paraphrase:
Last month at the troop committee meeting, I [a Scoutmaster] was told that "this
boy-led thing" was not working. I was hurt and disappointed in the boys. The
parents thought the boys chose their leaders poorly at the previous election,
and they want a major overhaul. I'm not sure we did the right thing, but we had
two boys express interest in being senior patrol leader. The assistant
Scoutmasters and I picked between the two and chose a tenth grader as the new
SPL.. We let him pick his staff down to the patrol leaders and assistant patrol
leaders. The boy we chose believes in the patrol method and wants to continue to
develop it. I think.he has chosen a good staff, but the parents are still
calling for changes. What do you do to quell a parent revolt?

You may view the latest post at
http://bobwhiteblather.com/how-do-i-quell-a-parent-revolt/

You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are
posted.
Best regards,
Bobwhite Blather
scouter at fmaynard.com